Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Teaser Tuesday - Teton Sunrise

view of the Tetons from the String Lakes
Another week gone, another couple of chapters closer to finishing the book! I was stuck on one particular chapter this week, and it really slowed my momentum down. I hope to be back on track this week. 
Here's today's teaser.


“Are you expecting someone?” Evelyn asked, trying to break the silence between them.
He shot her a look that seemed to question her sanity. “There’s always danger here, Evie. This isn’t St. Charles. If a bear isn’t trying to kill you, a Blackfoot Indian will.”
“Then why do you choose to stay here? Why put your life in danger day after day?” Evelyn stepped up to him, trying to hold his attention. His eyes darted repeatedly from her to the forest all around them.
“I’d rather die here than rot in St. Charles,” he said, his jaw clenched. This time he held her gaze. “I’m not cut out to be a farmer. Out here,” he gestured with his chin toward the mountains, “I can do as I see fit. I answer to no one, and hold no one responsible for me.”
Evelyn’s brows raised. She hadn’t expected him to divulge as much as he had. A certain longing seemed to linger in his voice.
“I’m sorry to tell you that your father died two years ago,” she said softly. She placed her hand on his arm, and he tensed instantly. His jaw muscles tightened along his cheeks. “He lost a fight at the tavern with another man. I didn’t know if you already knew. His farm is vacant now. The land rightfully belongs to you.”
Alex scoffed. Anger blazed in his eyes. “I’ll thank the man who killed him next time I’m in St. Charles,” he said, his tone icy. “I want no part of anything that belonged to him.”
Evelyn dropped her hand. She hadn’t realized how deep Alex’s hatred for his father seemed to run. 

No comments:

Post a Comment