Monday, March 5, 2012

Guest Author Ginger Simpson


Today, I am honored to have Ginger Simpson on the blog. And she brought along some ladies from her book, Sisters in Time.


 Thanks, Peggy for inviting me to visit your blog.  I've brought with me two characters from my time-travel romance with an historical twist, Sisters in Time.  Mariah and Taylor are here to tell you a little about their experience, but before I interview them, I'd like to share the book blurb:

When two women from different eras switch bodies and time, you can bet there are more sparks involved than the electrical storm that caused the time-travel. A modern-day attorney is no match for the pioneer wife she replaces...how can you live without a cell phone, a blow dryer and mascara? And the prim and proper Mariah isn't the least bit prepared for the fashion, fuss and modern gadgets that come with being in the 20th century. She almost faints when she takes her first plane ride. Will they find a way back to their own husbands and time? 

Now that everyone has an idea about the storyline, I'd like to introduce you to my two main characters.  I'll start with my pioneer wife:
Ginger:  “Good Morning Mariah.  It’s very nice to have you here.  A reader can only imagine how strange it was to start off on a trip to town for supplies and awaken in another time and place. Tell us how you felt about it.”
Mariah: *runs her hand down her long gingham skirt and sits a little straighter on her stool.  “It’s very nice to be here, although it does bring back some frightening moments.  *glances around at all the equipment and leans back to study the cylinder-like mike.*
Ginger:  “Tell us a little about what happened the morning you woke up in 20th century Colorado.” 
Mariah:  “There isn’t much I recall except packing a lunch for the trip and waiting for Frank to bring the wagon around.  The children and I had already done most of the chores indoors and were ready to go.” *sighs*
Ginger:  “Go on….”
Mariah:  “The last thing I remember is stopping next to a boulder so our son could… well you know.  A nest of rattlesnakes spooked the team and I reckon I was thrown off the wagon seat and hit my head. Frank did the best he could to manage the horses—”
Ginger:  “I’m sure it was a frightening moment for everyone, but tell us how you felt when you opened your eyes for the first time after the accident.”
Mariah:  *widens her eyes* “Scared.  There I was in some big ol’ bed, in a room filled with strange contraptions—like in here. *gestures to speakers and control panel* “I had a tube in my throat, couldn’t talk, and a man I didn’t recognize at all sat by my bedside constantly and called me Taylor.  I swear, you don’t have any idea how exasperating it is not to be able to speak.  I had no idea then who Taylor was or why he thought I was her.”  *turns and smiles at Taylor, seated next to her*
Taylor:  “Well it wasn’t any picnic waking up in your archaic bedroom with your pesky husband bugging me, either.” 
Mariah:  “Pesky?”
Taylor: “Yes, pesky.  The man wouldn’t take my word that I wasn’t his wife.  And how you lived back then with no cell phones, hair dryers or nail salons, I have no idea.  *Bends her knuckles and examines her manicure*
Mariah:  *swivels on her stool* “Your husband was insistent, too.  I must have told him a thousand times my name wasn’t Taylor.  It wasn’t bad enough that I had to be in a hospital for such a long time, I couldn’t believe the… the tacky clothes he brought and actually expected me to wear them to your house.  I have doilies that cover more.
Taylor:  “You wouldn’t know style if it was forced on you…and it was.  Those things hanging in your… your armoire are a far cry from New York’s fashion center.  I couldn’t tell the difference between your daytime and nighttime wardrobe.”
Ginger:  “Ladies, ladies, we’re getting off track here.  Let’s get back to the interview.  Taylor, tell us about your first impression… in a kind way if you don’t mind. 
Taylor:  “Can you imagine landing in a space in time where words like Taxi, phone, radio, and Lexus don’t make any sense?  I felt like I came from Mars and spoke a totally different language.  Frank, Miss Priss’ husband, got frustrated with me.  How is that my problem?”
Ginger:  “It must be alarming to wake up in a place totally strange and then have to be without the usual comforts.”
Mariah: “It’s equally as frightening to wake up in a place full of gadgets you know nothing about.  I almost fainted when the basin in Taylor’s kitchen growled at me.  And I had no idea that ice boxes had come so far.  Frozen meat, sodas, and what about that little device that opened cans all on its own?  My goodness.  I tell you what though; I’ll never be able to describe the thrill of flying.
Ginger:  “That’s right.  You flew in an airplane, didn’t you?”
Mariah: “Yes, David arranged for me to have that most wonderful experience.
Taylor:  *Her face red, her jaw tense*  “What other wonderful experiences else did David arrange for you?  Did you sleep with my husband? 
Mariah:  *Lowers her gaze* “Not of my own will.  Remember, he kept insisting I was you.  *turns accusing eyes to Taylor*  “Well, you slept with my husband!”
Taylor:  “It’s not my fault.”
Mariah:  “Then whose fault is it?”
Taylor:  “I didn’t write the story, Ginger did. I was on my way to work, minding my own business when she dragged me into her plot.  It’s her fault.”
Mariah:  “Yeah, it is her fault.  Frank never would have thought of sleeping with someone else. We were perfectly happy until she dreamed up this combination time-travel historical. *cast a stony gaze at Ginger*
Ginger:  *checks her watch*.  “Oh dear, we’ve suddenly run out of time.  This has been very interesting, but we’ll have to say goodbye for now.  All I can say in closing is Sisters in Time is available now.  Print and download copies are available at both Eternal Press and Amazon. Thanks for joining us.  I’ll be back next time with a book that features only one heroine.  In the meantime, if you'd like to learn more about my books, please visit my website and I'd love to have you stop by both of my blogs.  Dishin' It Out is my multi-genre blog, and I've just recently started Cowboy Kisses for my historical western friends.  

Again, I'd like to thank Peggy for hosting us today.  One lucky person who comments today will receive their own copy of Sisters in Time.

7 comments:

  1. What a fantastic premise. You certainly use the idea of "what if" to spur this story idea. Looking forward to reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief, I've already had two visitors. I'm late in rising this morning...still playing catch-up after being gone eight days. Anyhow, Thanks for stopping by, and a big hug to Peggy for hosting me today. I'll be posting the winner of SIT later on this evening. It's a fun read. :) Of course, that's just my humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure I'd want to go back in time... can you find me a "sister" from the future where I have my own robot housekeeper a la Jetsons? (Can we tell I have a full sink ahead of me?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. JQ Rose - Send me an email so I can send you your free PDF of Sisters in Time. Your name surfaced to the top. :) mizging at gmail dot com. (dang robots that steal our emails.) Thanks to everyone who commented.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great premise for a story. It is always so much fun to mix times and people. I admire authors who can keep all that straight. LOL

    ReplyDelete